Rivers and Tides


Rivers and Tides

I really liked this film, although at times I was a little bit confused about Andy Goldsworthy's motives. He defines himself through art, although he does not define the art itself. As he said in the film, "I need the land, but the land doesn't need me". The only time where he can be at peace with himself is during his artistic journey in which he explores his creative outlet. His art is all natural, which could speak to his character because when he is in his element he feels natural, as if he is in the right place. I really admire how his art is not intended for audiences, although it seemed to me that he welcomed spectators, but more for himeself. It is ok that I don't understand everything he does because it is not for me to understand, it is for him to understand and me to appreciate. I wonder how he got started doing this? How does he earn a living? I'm sure he worked a typical job at some point, but he never commited the crime that most of socitey does today: defining ourselves through our employment. It is so refreshing to see him creating art out of natural elements, sparking intellect and wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment